Call for Submissions: Writer-in-Residence
Red River College
Creative Arts Department
2011 or 2012 Writer-in-Residence
The Creative Arts Department of Red River College invites submissions from Canadian writers for a proposed two-month residency in either 2011 or 2012. The proposed writer-in-residence will be paid in accordance with Canada Council guidelines ($2000/month).
The writer-in-residence will spend a maximum of two days per week reading manuscripts and consulting with students and the public, visiting classrooms, giving readings and lectures, leading workshops, or participating in other programming.
All Canadian writers with at least one published book (according to Canada Council standard eligibility guidelines) are encouraged to apply, but the successful applicant must live in Winnipeg during the term of the residency. Accommodation will not be provided by the College.
Proposed dates for the residency are mid-October through mid-December, 2011; alternate dates, between late January and early April, 2012, might be negotiated.
Your submission must include the following:
– cover letter, including the following:
- a clear statement of your availability during the proposed and alternate dates, and your ability to find accommodation in Winnipeg, if applicable;
- a statement of what you hope to get out of the proposed residency;
- several alternate methods of contacting you immediately should your application be successful;
– C.V. including the following:
- complete details for all published books and produced plays and screenplays;
- writing awards, prizes and other honours;
- related volunteer and work experience teaching, mentoring, editing, assessing manuscripts, leading workshops, etc.;
- two letters of reference from members of the writing community;
– a 20- to 30-page sample from recent published or unpublished work;
– (optional) reviews of your most recent published or produced work.
The following will be considered assets:
– experience in more than one genre, but with a focus on fiction, non-fiction, and/or screenwriting;
– experience working with/ability to appeal to youth;
– experience working with the public and with beginning writers.
Applications must be received by 4 p.m., Tuesday, February 22. A decision will be made rapidly, so please make sure that your cover letter indicates several alternate methods of contacting you.
This competition is not for an established residency program, and the proposed residency, and its terms, is contingent on receipt of both grant funding and internal funding. The successful applicant will be asked to commit to residency dates in writing by March 1, 2011, but the availability of grant funding will not be known until the summer. The College reserves the right not to proceed with the grant application at all should no suitable candidate be found by the deadline.
Apply electronically with PDFs or MS Word files to
Writer-in-Residence Search Committee
Creative Arts Department, Red River College
Subject Line: Writer-in-Residence Search
Red River College is Manitoba’s biggest college of applied learning. The Creative Arts Department offers programs in creative communications, graphic design, digital multimedia technology, and more. It is located at the Exchange District campus in central Winnipeg.